Two students of the Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO), Imo State have reportedly died after inhaling noxious fumes from their power generator while asleep, police and witnesses said on Saturday.
The victims fell asleep on Thursday in a locked room in their Jabulani Hostel, Eziobodo, Owerri West Council Area of Imo State with the generator still running, police said.
The police said that their bodies were discovered lying helplessly in a room after the incident was reported to the Divisional Police Headquarters Nekede/Ihiagwa.
“On March 4, at about 6 pm, upon a report received at the Divisional Police Headquarters, operatives of the Division moved to Jabulani Hostel, Eziobodo, and met the three (3) occupants of one of the rooms, identified as Nkama Fred Eberechukwu “M” 22YRS, Udeagbala Kenechukwu”M” 21 and Anele Stephen “M” 21, all lying helplessly in the room.
The Police spokesman, Orlando Ikeokwu (SP) who confirmed the incident, said the operatives broke into the room and immediately evacuated them to the Federal Medical Centre, (FMC) Owerri where two of the victims were certified dead by the doctors on duty.
According to Ikeokwu, one of the victims Nkama Fred Eberechukwu was successfully revived, and currently receiving treatment at the hospital.
He said preliminary investigation revealed that the victims, identified as students of the Federal University of Technology (FUTO) Owerri, might have suffocated as a result of the fume (carbon monoxide) which emanated from their power generating set, which they inhaled while sleeping, as the power generator was seen directly by the window in an enclosed space, and the fume discharging pipe pointing directly towards the window.
However, he said the Commissioner of Police, Imo State, CP Nasiru Mohammed has ordered an investigation into the matter, while efforts are ongoing to trace their relatives.