Connect with us
-->

Politics

Sack Fever Grips Ministers As Buhari Reviews Performance

Published

on

Buhari sack ministers

President Muhammadu Buhari, on Monday, declared open the mid-term ministerial performance review in Abuja, sparking uncertainly among his cabinet and other top government officials as to the possibility of the sack of ministers who have underperformed.

The assessment, which is for ministers, permanent secretaries and top government officials, is for two days.

In sacking the former ministers of power, Saleh Mamman, and his agriculture counterpart, Sabo Nanono, on September 1, the president had warned that exercise would be a continuous process.

Presidency sources say that the president may be awaiting the outcome of the ongoing assessment to determine his next step, which, the sources affirmed, may involve another tinkering of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) in the home stretch of the administration.

Speaking at the ceremony at the State House Conference Hall, he said he would stay throughout the two days of the event to listen to all cumulative assessments over the last two years and some months.

He recalled his previous assertion that over two years into his second term, the tradition of subjecting his government’s projects and programs implementation to independent and critical self-review had taken firm roots through sector reporting during cabinet meetings and at Retreats.

The president warned all ministers and permanent secretaries to take seriously all issues relating to the implementation of their mandates towards the attainment of the laudable objectives of this government.

President Buhari also said on the occasion that he has instructed the Ministry of Defense to create a modest military-industrial complex for the local production of weapons to meet some of the requirements of the country’s armed forces.

According to him, the establishment of the industrial complex, which would be implemented under the Defense Industries Corporation of Nigeria (DICON), would address Nigeria’s over-dependence on other countries for military equipment and logistics.

Review Could Lead Buhari To Sack Underperforming Ministers

In his opening address, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr Boss Mustapha, said the administration had approved 878 contracts in the past six years, adding that most of the contracts were targeted at the country’s infrastructure, to boost economic growth and development.

According to him, the last two years had been the most productive for the Federal Executive Council in the life of the administration.

“In the same vein, the analysis also shows that the Government remained focused on its cardinal responsibility of responsively addressing the myriads of needs and challenges of its citizens through the 319 approved Policies initiated during the period.

“The details of this data are contained in the newly developed Compendium of FEC Approvals from November 2015 – August 2021.” (Nigerian Tribune)

GreenWhiteGreen GWG reports that Special Adviser to the President on Media, Femi Adesina in an interview on Channels on Monday night said that no one could predict if President Buhari would sack or not sack any of the ministers after the review. He, however, said that the president was taking the review very seriously.

Send Us A Press Statement Advertise With Us Contact Us

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *