Connect with us
-->

Sports

Benzema Available For France Selection Despite Guilty Verdict In Blackmail Trial – FFF

Published

on

Karim Benzema will not be excluded from France selection despite being handed a one-year suspended prison sentence on Wednesday, French Football Federation (FFF) president Noel Le Graet has said.

Real Madrid striker Benzema was also fined €75,000 after being found guilty of complicity in the attempted blackmail of former Les Blues team-mate Mathieu Valbuena.

Benzema, who has always denied the accusations and was not present in court in Versailles when the verdict was given, intends to appeal the decision.

The case dates back to June 2015 when Benzema is said to have put pressure on Valbuena to pay off blackmailers in order to keep a sexually explicit tape out of the public eye.

Benzema and Valbuena, who now plays for Greek side Olympiacos, were both dropped from the France national team in the wake of the scandal.

However, Benzema was recalled earlier this year ahead of the rescheduled Euro 2020 – ending a six-year absence – and has been a regular for Didier Deschamps’ side ever since.

The 33-year-old will continue to remain available for Les Blues when the national team reconvenes for their next batch of fixtures in March 2022.

“I don’t know what Karim and his lawyers will decide, but as far as the Federation is concerned, there is no change,” La Graet said, as quoted by L’Equipe. 

“He remains selectable while regretting this unfortunate record. He did not play for several years with the France team. This sanction does not change anything for me. 

“He is selectable. Even if he does not appeal, for me, that does not change anything. He has the right to work.” 

Benzema is part of Real Madrid’s squad for Wednesday’s Champions League tie with Sheriff.

Send Us A Press Statement Advertise With Us Contact Us

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *