By Emmanuel Adigwe
Minister of state for labour and employment, Festus Keyamo (SAN), has disclosed that the man allegedly shot by security operatives said to be operatives of the police’ special anti-robbery squad (SARS) in Delta state is still alive.
GWG recalls that there was public backlash on Saturday after video clips emerged on social media where a witness disclosed that a man was killed by the operatives and his car taken by them.
Reacting to this development, Keyamo took to his social media handle on Sunday saying that he spoke with the police authorities in the area and a family member of the victim who disclosed that he is alive but still receiving treatment in the hospital.
“I just spoke with both the Commissioner of Police, Delta State & the Area Commander in Ughelli where the unfortunate incident involving a young man & the Police took place yesterday. I also spoke with Ochuko, the victim’s brother. I was born, bred and raised in that same town,” the minister tweeted.
“All of them said the victim is alive & receiving treatment. Whilst I totally condemn the extra-judicial killings by SARS & other Police outfits against defenseless citizens and call for comprehensive reforms and overhaul of the system, some facts of this case are as follows:
“(a) The outfit involved in this case is called Operation Delta Safe and not SARS (b) the victim was not shot as confirmed by his brother, but fell out of the Police vehicle when being taken to the station after arrest. The brother said he was pushed; the Police said he jumped.
“This is a picture of the victim in hospital this morning, showing injuries from the fall (c) the Police stopped to pick him up after the fall, but an angry mob had already gathered and the Police fled and left the victim (d) A Good Samaritan picked him & took him to hospital.”
Keyamo enjoined youths in the area to be law abiding because he was handling the matter and he called on police authorities to investigate the matter.