Israel says two male Israeli hostages have been rescued in Rafah, as Israeli air strikes hit the southern Gazan city.
GWG.ng reports that the rescued Israeli hostages were fetched out during fighting that led to the death of as many as 60 Palestinians, a development that has sparked outrage among some.
The Israeli military says Fernando Simon Marman, 60, and Louis Har, 70, are in “good medical condition”
Israel says there was “aerial coverage and a wave of strikes” to accompany the hostage raid
A spokesman for the Hamas-run health ministry says at least 67 Palestinians were killed in the strikes. The ministry says 164 people have been killed in Gaza in the last day
It follows warnings from the international community over Israel’s planned offensive in the city, where 1.5 million people are sheltering
Israel launched its operations in Gaza after more than 1,200 people were killed on 7 October by Hamas, who also took 253 people hostage
The Hamas-run health ministry in Gaza says more than 28,100 Palestinians have been killed and more than 67,500 injured since then
Louis Har and Fernando Simon Marman, the two hostages rescued by Israeli forces from Rafah overnight, have been pictured embracing family members in a new image released on Monday morning.
Bring Them Home Now, a group of families and friends of hostages taken by Hamas, posted the picture on social media, welcoming the pair home.
“We are thrilled to have you here with us. We’ll keep demanding the return of all 134 hostages,” the group said.
Israel’s ambassador to the UK, Tzipi Hotovely, shared the same picture, calling the rescue “a moment of triumph and relief”.
“This operation is a testament to our unyielding resolve to #BringThemHomeNow,” she wrote on X, formerly Twitter.
With additional reports from BBC